I Won't Send Roses


I WON'T SEND ROSES

"I won't send roses, or hold the doorI won't remember which dress you woreMy heart is too much in controlThe lack of romance in my soulWill turn you grey, kidSo stay away, kidForget my shoulder when you're in needForgetting birthdays is guaranteedand should I love you, 
you would be the last to knowI won't send roses and roses suit you so."

I have been looking for something to say about the guy I'm seeing. I can't really call him a boyfriend, more of a friend with benefits. We're exactly the same age, we share the same pop culture references, We can both quote Saturday Night live skits from the 70's to now. However, he is a sports fiend, grew up around major league players. I love theater.  He has never been to one of my shows, although he almost got to the last one. Is it a perfect relationship? No.  It's not much of a relationship at all, but it's enough for now.  He's not clingy; I like that. Clingy makes me panic a little bit. We don't play house. I've never met his daughter, and he doesn't hang out with my boys. He doesn't drink, at all! I think I've seen him have one beer while we were out. I appreciate that. The sex is epic! But is all this the stuff of great love songs? I didn't think so, until I found this. I chose John Barrowman's version because he's fantastic, and he used to play Captain Jack on Doctor Who and Torchwood. In case you were wondering, my new man has never sent me roses, and roses do suit me so. Maybe someday I will have the courage to fully give my heart to someone new, but not today.  However, there are some other lyrics from another song that speak to me. It's from an often overlooked show, and the song is called 
Fifty Percent

 (click on the link for the full song by the amazing Dorothy Loudon)

" So I don't share his name
So I don't wear his ring
So there's no piece of paper saying that he's mine
So we don't have the memories
I've had enough memories
I've washed enough mornings
I've dried enough evenings
I've had enough birthdays to know what I want
Life is anyone's guess
It's a constant surprise
Though you don't plan to fall in love
When you fall...you fall
I'd rather have fifty percent of him
Or any percent of him
Than all of anybody else at all," At least, so far.



Comments

Popular Posts