Momocon Mom

Taliesin Jaffe as Percy
The cast of Vox Machina
I went to my first convention.  I lost my convention virginity. My younger son and I decided to go when we heard that three of his favorite voice actors, Matt Mercer, Marisha Ray, and Taliesin Jaffe would be there.  These three actors are part of Critical Role's Vox Machina, who play D&D every week, and we watch it on YouTube.  Well my son has a huge crush on all these guys, and we decided to go, and I decided to make him a costume.  "Who do you want to go as," became more of a question of, "whose costume can I make?" So we decided on Percy de Rolo, played by Taleisin Jaffe. I dug through my fabric stash, and pattern library. Hurrah, I had a pattern for a frock coat and vest. My boss practically gave me the blue fabric for the coat. I found navy lining and vest fabric in my stash.  My friend B gave me lining for the vest, a little gold trim, and one of her husband's old shirts. My son had boots, gauntlets and a sword belt from the Renaissance Fair we usually attend. All I had to buy was trim, buttons, and interfacing. I sewed like a demon for days. There are a lot of pieces in a frock coat, and you have to make it twice with the lining. I altered the pattern; put on cuffs and trim where there had been none. I learned how to make a welt pocket; they are fiddly, and it took me three tries!
 The day arrives! We go to the convention center and head directly to Vox Machina's table, only to find that there are no more tickets for autographs!  We are crushed. However, we wander around and meet a cute elven maid, and a few others who were as disappointed as we were. After the crowd was thinning out, I forced my son to stand in front of the table where Taliesin could see him. I had not worked that hard on the costume, and come downtown, NOT to have him meet these guys! I guess the ring of power was working! After a little strategic maneuvering, Taliesin saw us and gave us a big thumbs up! He gestured with his camera, and before we knew it my son was let in through the ropes to meet his favorite actors.  They couldn't have been nicer and more generous given their time constraints.  They all signed his dice box.  I will forever be grateful to Mr. Jaffe and his genuine enthusiasm on seeing my creations, both costume and son.

 "What will you go as?" many asked me as I was sewing. "His Mom," I replied. I had no plans for me, since I didn't have time to make a second costume.  On the day, I just couldn't go in street clothes, so I dug deep into my costume closet, and pulled something together. I wore black leggings and boots, then I added a lace over skirt and my corset.  I topped the whole thing off with my Lady Bracknell jacket with the Leg o'Mutton sleeves.  I sprayed some purple streaks in my hair.  It was quite the mash up. I decided to call the character, "Mama De Rolo." I was prepared for the compliments on my son's ensemble, but I was not prepared for the compliments on my costume! Maybe it was seeing us together. I guess I forgot how awesome that jacket really was. Some even assumed I must do it professionally; to which I replied, "You couldn't pay me enough to make it worthwhile." No, I do it for free; either when I'm in a play, or for love of my boy.  Anyway, it was a great day, and I know for certain this will not be my last cosplay convention.  Dragon Con is in September. I'd better start planning now if I'm going to upgrade my costume; maybe start learning how to make foam armor.

Comments

Popular Posts